Additional Costs of Litigation
Filing a personal injury lawsuit and handling the myriad of payments for lawyer fees and expenses can be an overwhelming process. A committed personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach can thoroughly explain the cost of litigation in a transparent manner.How the Fee for a Personal Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach Is Calculated
You will be responsible for compensating your personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach for the following services or expenses:
- Any amount of work, time, effort and expertise the personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach has put into your case.
- The built-in costs associated with litigation, notably office overhead such as secretarial time, rent, files, and others.
- Out of pocket expenses for services your personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach must perform specifically for your case. Some of these expenses include the following:
- Medical Reports Charged by Doctors and Hospitals – Your personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach may have to pay well over a hundred dollars for medical reports written or prepared personally by your doctors. Generic medical reports should only cost you around a few dollars.
- Photocopy Charges – The law firm will initially pay for the numerous photocopies of medical bills, medical reports, police reports, witness statements, and lost income information the insurance will need to handle your claim. You will be charged a specific amount of each page of the photocopies at a later date.
- Fees for Long Distance Telephone Calls – If the personal injury attorney in West Palm Beach had to make long distance telephone calls for your case, you are likely responsible for reimbursing him or her for the each phone bill.
- Photograph Expenses – Photographs are crucial evidence of your injuries and accident in any personal injury cases. If your personal injury attorney in West Palm Beach spent money to acquire the photos or have them enlarged, you must compensate him or her for the cost.
- Experts’ Reports – You are responsible for reimbursing the personal injury attorney in West Palm Beach for the costs of reports written by non-medical experts’ reports.
- Any Litigation Costs – If your case cannot settle and must move to suit or litigation, you will be charged for the expected costs of filing a lawsuit.
You are obligated to pay certain costs and disbursements even if you do not win a financial award in your case. Your injury attorney should clarify that while you do not have to pay his fee if he fails to obtain a settlement or court award, you must still pay for actual out of pocket costs. You will be charged for such costs as they become necessary for the case.You May Have to Make Advance Payment
As the case moves along, your lawyer could ask you to pay at least part of the out of pocket costs even before the settlement. Because “financing” anyone’s personal injury cases is too much of a burden for law firms, they are legally allowed to collect out of pocket expenses from their clients regardless of the outcome of the case.
To be represented by a top notch Personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach who will help make sense of the difficult litigation process and financial obligations, please contact Attorney Stephen J. Press at 1-561-833-2772.